Monday, December 15, 2008

What is Instructional Design?

At the end of my first semester, I need to change my definition of Instructional Design (ID). Now I put more emphasis on teaching instead of on computers. But the focus on teaching isn't on the teacher but on the students. If instruction doesn't work for the students, then it isn't worth it. (I wonder what public schools would be like if they used only instruction centered on the students.)

My lastest defintion of Instructional Design:

Instructional Design is creating/building/designing curriculum/instruction using principles that ensure the curriculum works for the students.

Instructional Design (ID) begins with an analysis of the situation--what is the problem? Can instruction fix it? Then ID analizes the students to make the best decisions on the kind of instruction and delivery. Before finishing the instruction, designers must test it with students and then revise. After students use the instruction, designers must test it again to make sure the instruction solved the problem. These principles (analysis, design, revision, testing) and processes that could make any project successful.

That's my definition for now. I'm sure it will change again with each successive semester and that's what I'm looking forward to.

No comments: